It felt so easy - the language, the familiar food and stores, and no distance and time difference with family and friends. It was odd not to be able to stay in our home and even harder to try and explain it to Liam.
I had my fill of bagels, pizza, iced coffee and pretzels. I also helped the NJ economy by buying shoes, clothes, christmas presents and all sorts of miscellaneous stuff. All of these things are much more expensive in Europe, sometimes double the price. I went back with three extra bags.
The visit was wonderful. It was also jam packed! We saw as many family and friends as we could manage. A major highlight was a surprise visit from the Arizona Kelly clan - my brother Bobby, Tina and Rowan. Hats off to them for surprising the entire family on Thanksgiving morning!
We were having such a good time that both Hugh and I were worried that we would not want to go back. However, after two weeks we were ready to get back to our new Belgian life. After spending two glorious weeks going to parties and playing with his cousins, Liam was a bit confused and did not want to leave NJ. He now realized that Belgium was far away. We told him that we had to go back to get our dog Keegan to get him on the plane. I am happy to report that he was fine within a day or two.
People kept asking us which country we were calling "home". We are Americans, but country aside, I now realize that you can have multiple "homes". I make a point now to refer to our apartment as home to the children. Little thing but I believe that it makes a difference. Deep thought of the day.
Too many pics to post. Thanks to all of our family and friends for making it such a wonderful visit.
People kept asking us which country we were calling "home". We are Americans, but country aside, I now realize that you can have multiple "homes". I make a point now to refer to our apartment as home to the children. Little thing but I believe that it makes a difference. Deep thought of the day.
Too many pics to post. Thanks to all of our family and friends for making it such a wonderful visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment