We found out right after Thanksgiving. I must admit I froze for about a week. I was a bit overwhelmed by having to find a good doctor here in Belgium and needing to navigate this part of the medical system. Luckily, an Irish friend of mine was able to recommend a doctor who not only gave her great care but also where she felt the language did not cause any issues (everyone speaks English here, but it was of course a concern of mine). Our first appointment was scheduled for December 23rd, when I was 7 weeks. I will always have such a vivid image of that appointment, mainly because Hugh and I rode our bikes to it! I felt so Belgian. The care has been wonderful. It has actually been more "hi-tech" than in the US. I get an ultrasound at every visit and the cost of the visit is less than $100 before insurance!
My mom arrived shortly before the 7 week appointment and was the first to find out. As with most people, she was quite surprised. I think the Vegas odds on us were that we were done with 2 :). We held the news from everyone else until I had a trip to the US at about 14 weeks. We then told Liam and Brenna when I returned. They were very excited.
True to their gender, Liam wished for a boy and Brenna for a girl. We just found out that it will be a girl! Liam took it pretty well, although he did ask if we can still dress her up like a boy. Brenna would like to name her Rapunzel and Liam wants to name her Brenna (thinks it would make it easier to call both of them).
We return to the US May 19th and she is due August 9th. We look forward to showing her this blog one day so she can see where it all began.
No comments:
Post a Comment