Saturday, March 10, 2012

I will miss you Christmas Markets!


This game is always a crowd pleaser
I get asked frequently what I like about living in Europe the most.  One of the things that tops my list is Christmas.  I am a sucker for a winter wonderland atmosphere and you do not have to go far to experience that here.  The festivities start late November and continue until after the New Year when town squares in cities big and small all open their Christmas markets.  The markets go beyond presents and include food, bars, outdoor ice skating rinks, rides, and games. Each town has its own style of market and exploring them all could be a full time job.  I am sure if you are here for many years they may become kind of repetitive, but for us our two years of experiencing them will leave me with fond memories.

Antwerp

The season kicked off with a light parade in Antwerp 
Lights and fireworks made it feel very magical
I have no idea why we let Liam and Brenna talk us into going on this massive Ferris wheel but we did. Normally heights do not scare me that much, but this ferris wheel had swing doors on each of the cars, with no locks.  I was petrified that the kids would move to close to it.  Needless to say we only did this once!


Our thrill seeker is in the middle

The kids favorite part of the Antwerp market was ice skating at the temporary ring set up along the river and in front of the Castle.  I found myself pausing to take in the scenery quite often.  





A little help from Mr. Penguin 
Time to warm up by the fire
We also travelled to Achen, Germany.  Germany is known for its markets and this one was only an 1.5 hour drive.  There were so many people there.  No one cared that it was COLD.  They enjoyed the great German food (potato pancakes were my favorite) and sipped on the Gluewein (hot mulled wine) and strolled the market which takes over multiple blocks and squares in the town.




Did I mention the great German food?

Time to go home after a wonderful day


No comments:

Post a Comment