Saturday, November 5, 2011

Normandy, France



My mom came back in September!  So to celebrate her return, we headed off on another trip.  Hugh picked this one for the obvious WWII history.  Since I am not a huge war buff, I must admit that I did not expect too much out of this excursion.  Little did I know.  Normandy, minus the history, is a beautiful part of France.  This in itself is a reason to visit.  The addition of the well maintained and respectfully done, D-day memorials makes it even better.  It was very moving.  I can see why so many Americans make the pilgrimage.  Although again, I had no clue how many there would be!  Hats off to my fellow Americans for paying their respects to those who paid the ultimate price.

German Bunkers

Craters from the bombs

Imagine soldiers climbing these cliffs


American Cemetery

After the monuments and museum, the kids took some time to play on the beach.



The next day we took a trip to Mont Saint-Michel. It is a rocky tidal island within the Normandy region.  It has been a strategic fort since ancient times and since 8 AD has had the Saint-Michel monastery.  The island was formerly only connected to the mainland by a thin natural bridge that was covered each day at high tide and only revealed again at low tide.  You can still see the water rush around the island each day - see video below.  Very fun for Hugh the Oceanographer!  

Narrow streets all lead to the Monastery
Kids walked the whole way

Love the pose

Made it to the top!
Our last stop before home was to see the Bayeux Tapestry.  It is a 230 by 1.6 foot wide embroidered cloth that depicts the events leading up to the Norman conquest of England.  It was made in 1070 and shows fifty scenes including the battle of Hastings.   You are given a  headset which tells the story as you walk by the scenes.  Much more enjoyable than reading a history book!    





VIDEO of Tide at Mont Saint-Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment