Saturday, April 2, 2011

Austria


"Winter Holidays" are very popular for Europeans, really vacations in general are more popular here.  The increased vacation times plays a big part in that, although there is also something about being able to jump in a car and be in another country/culture that makes you want to just get out and about.

We chose Austria as our first winter holiday.  We were lucky enough to go with friends of ours, who had a great tip on a "Kinderhotel" in Austria.  Kinderhotels specialize in families with small children.  It was all inclusive with everything you needed - diapers, baby food, child care, kids activities, gourmet meals for the adults (convintently served during the kids activities), non-stop ice cream, step stools and potty seats.  The best part was that everyone had kids, so our little loud Americans fit right in.

I had high expectations for Austria, purely based on my love of the Sound of Music, and I am happy to report that it was as beautiful as I imagined.  We hardly drove more than 10 minutes from the hotel and we had plenty to do and not a bad view could be found.  

This is Brenna crammed in our car for the what should be 9 hour drive.  We stopped in Germany on the way there.  The way back we did it in one day - something like 14 hours due to all the traffic. Thank God for DVD players for the car!



Charming Austrian Hotel










Indoor Kiddie Pool

One of the children's play areas that 
were open all night,
plus were used for daycare

Our families had the same table 
each day for meals



My Ski Champion
Dad's goggles because we forgot sunglasses
Ski Lessons in the mornings


Liam on the move!




Fun at the hotel
Sledding at the hotel with Colin
Brenna loved it.  Luckily there was a motorized rope that can pull you back to the top

Visit to the Barn at the hotel
Baby goats




Sand & Snow = one happy boy!
So European looking

The Toboggan Run - 14 km of Awesomeness!
http://www.urlaubsarena-wildkogel.at/en/wildkogelbahnen.html


Craig, Laurie and I about to start the trail
I do not think I have had this much fun since I was a kid!  

About half way down (one hour) we stopped and had a little bubbly :)
Not a bad life sipping champagne  on the Austrian Alps while your kids are at the hotel kids club
Up on the Mountain



Unwinding at Night


After a long day the heated pool (with entrance from inside) was great.  This coming from someone who gets cold holding a soda! 


Kids having a dinner conversation.
Brenna & Chloe look so serious!
Kids activities every night.  This night the mascot did a Conga line
in the dining room for the parents to see.  Look who is at the front and would not
let go of the bear :).  There were 20 plus kids behind her.

Each night one child would not make it to the kids club activity
and stay with us for dinner.  This was Liam's night.


 As I am sure you could tell, we loved this trip.   We are so glad to share it with our new Belgian friends (who are actually from South Jersey).   Craig, Laurie and Hugh went skiing.  Hugh compared the easy trail to an expert one in PA.  This was one serious mountain.   I did get skis and went down a little hill in town - big progress for me!  There is video proof but I will not bore you with that. 

I will leave you with a picture of a waterfall that Hugh and I went to.  It was magnificent.

Just the two of us, a camera with a timer and of course a little wine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment