Beer has been brewed in Belgium since the middle ages. Belgian breweries produce 800 standard beers, and when you include special brews the number jumps to over 8,000. I have already tried more types of beer here than in my whole drinking life combined and we have barely scratched the surface. Beer is also typically cheaper than buying a Coke and can be ordered by a 16 year old.
Virtually every beer in Belgium has a branded glass. This is me drinking the local Antwerp beer . I am also holding Hugh's Duvel (translation the Devil), which is a name well deserved based on the alcohol content. Beers here can have twice the alcohol content as the standard ones in the US. The dangerous part is that they taste great, so drinker beware.
Brussels is famous for fruit beers, Mom and I having a Cherry Beer in Brussels (Kriek). Yum, Yum, Yum! It is more like eating beer than drinking it, something like a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat does not compare here. I have also had apple, raspberry and coconut. Cherry is still my favorite, although I think it is only right I give all the other flavors a fair shot at the title.
Hugh having a Kwak beer in the beers hometown of Ghent. He had to give the bartender his shoe as collateral for the very large glass. I drove home after this one.
This is a beer store, not a wine store. Check out the bottles - size of a wine bottle with corks.
Liam and cousin Kaitlin at the De Koninck Brewery Tour :). It is at our corner.
Before you run and call AA on me, this contraption served 4 of us Palm Beer at the local Antwerp Bowling Alley/Pool Hall.
Beer Party . . . . okay it was a tea party. I could not have a picture of everyone but our princess.
I'm looking forward to our Beer/Tea Party. And after drinking some Duvel, I may have to borrow Brenna's dress. ;) She does look awfully cute.
ReplyDelete